Monday, October 26, 2020

Estoy tratando descansar

To say the new EMR went live without a hitch would be a drastic understatement. 

It doesn't really matter if this new EMR is better or worse at this point, because either way, it's new. It's change. And humans don't respond well to change. We get frustrated at what we don't understand. Perfectly happy and content employees have expressed their exasperation and threatened to quit this past week. And no amount of reassurance and aide that I can provide lessens their frustration....which then in turn frustrates me. 

The way I view it, we definitely can NOT go back to the antiquated barely functionable EMR that we used to have. The only way is forward, taking this new EMR and all its good, bad, and confusing aspects one step at a time. Unfortunately, us residents seem to be the only ones on board with that mentality. Nurses, aides, ancillary staff, etc seem to have differing opinions. 

Hopefully, things will calm down soon, and we can enter a new and accepted normal and stop struggling against this change. 

I am away from the hospital this week. COVID still preventing me from traveling and seeing this amazing world as I would like. So I am trying to simply rest this week. It's not working too well. First off, I was woken up early this morning to phone calls, texts and emails concerning the liver transplant today. My own fault really, outside of my own service I didn't exactly broadcast the fact that I would be away. At the same time, I can't really take a vacation from the administrative duties I'm carrying right now. Again my own fault for trying to take a week of vacation during the few blocks I'm designated the "administrative chief resident". Over the years, I've seen a plethora of chiefing styles. Everything from the lazy, checked-out and essentially absent chief, to the micro-manager. Where on that spectrum I fall... I'm not quite sure I actually want to know. But there are many changes in my style that I am noticing now as a chief resident, and one, not so good change, is my inability to separate myself from the work, from the patients. It's the first time that I have ever brought my laptop with me on vacation... so that I could still work. As ready as I am to be done with residency already... I can not understand how those before me have been able to ignore the fact that they still hold a responsibility, and an important responsibility, to their patients, to their services/attendings, and to the many junior residents that are looking up to them. Who knows.... maybe I'm the one that needs to let go more. So there you have it... trying and failing to relax. 

Much Love and Prayer!

No comments: