Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Estoy contando pastillas.


Seems summer temps came back for a second visit in New York this year. I notice it as I walk in and out of the hospital every day; whether I need to hug my jacket tighter or not.  I’d usually try not to say anything about the weather for fear it would come out sounding like a complaint, but I do appreciate being warm.

My two weeks on Pediatric Surgery went by way too fast. I love playing with the kids. Had some really cute ones this time and saw some pretty fascinating pathology in those two weeks. I appreciate the faster pace of the pediatric surgery service. For example last Friday we blazed through 7 surgeries. Five of those kids admitted just that morning or from the previous night. We operated and then by the end of the day had discharged four of them as well, all while taking care of our already admitted kiddos.  If I had a mic… I’d drop it!  

Due to my two weeks of vacation, I then had to complete my entire share of calls within the last two weeks of that block. It made for a notable amount of call the past two weeks. I wasn’t about to give up all my cases though so would return post call to operate. It worked out well. Post call I would go home and take a nap; wake up when the PA would call me to say the case was about ready! I’d go in and operate, maybe run the list with the team, make sure everything was smooth. Then go back to my day.  I feel like I can breathe a bit easier going into a new block with my calls spread out over the four weeks rather than two.

My last call was an interesting one. Had to change my scrubs not once, but twice, and my black jacket is now in the laundry basket. Needs more of a power wash this time.  Wise the person was, whomever decided to make those jackets all black. Unwise the person was, who decided knife fighting a good idea. And for pity sake, if you’re going to ride a motorcycle, wear full protective gear. Not those pathetic half-helmet things, they don’t do any more for you than a baseball cap would, in a word… unwise.
Much Love.

No comments: