Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Estoy celebrando el nacimiento del Rey de Reyes

“Porque un niño nos es nacido, hijo nos es dado; y el principado sobre su hombro: y llamaráse su nombre Admirable, Consejero, Dios fuerte, Padre eterno, Príncipe de paz.”
“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.”

When given the option of Christmas vs. New Year’s, there is no difficulty choosing a holiday to have away from the hospital. In general, our Jewish colleagues hold down the fort while the rest of us pause to celebrate Christmas and then we swap for New Years. Usually everyone comes away happy, perhaps some hard feelings about working Christmas Eve, understandably so.

Reality speaking, working Christmas isn’t the end of the world. Done that before, and I’m sure will do so many times in the future. It just means that I have a job. Many are not so blessed.

Family plays an important role around the holidays. You can walk down any street in America this time of year and find all levels of crazy gathering together. Everything from the single working individual sharing a midnight bone with their animal, to the well-lit and overflowing house operating at all octaves and speeds humanly possible, and.. well.. unhumanly possible I imagine. Perhaps, the parties involved in either situation secretly wishing for the opposite scenario for themselves.  I myself, being far from immediate family, am able to claim my third cousins, who live two hours away, as my family. They’re more than just third cousins though, and it is through our willingness to profess belief in Jesus as the Son of God and Man that brings us together as family.

Whereever December 25th finds me, Illinois, New York, or Timbuktu, whether by myself or with others, I am never alone. And everyday is Christmas. 

I didn’t have the time to get together a Christmas card this year. But as to celebrating the birth, life and death of Jesus my brother, friend and Savior, I wish you all A Very Merry Christmas!

Much Love.

No comments: