Saturday, August 22, 2015

Estoy solamente parte de la historia.

With any story, there are multiple view points. Different angles from which a story can be told. And depending on the audience the same narrator may not always be appropriate.

I've been thinking about that a lot this week. Particularly because I've been hearing a story, a common everyday story for me, but this time it's being told from a completely opposite point of view.

When an individual goes into surgery they have to let go of any control they hold over a situation. They become completely reliant on the hands of someone else to follow through. That side of the story is what I get to help be a part of everyday. I'm learning and growing, my ability to tell this part of the story improving with time. I'm seeing lines where before none existed. Quicker using both hands when the left hand was so awkward at first. Becoming comfortable with what is safe versus what needs caution. And it makes me wonder sometimes.  I've cut in places where I'm told to cut when everything in me squirms that a higher level of caution is needed. I confess this... I cut, not because I want to trust the Surgeon telling me to do so, but because I have to trust him. Because if I don't cut, the instruments will be taken away from me, and then how would I learn.  Mistakes often the best way to learn. (Don't worry, thankfully so far there have been no such mistakes).  But hearing a story from a different view point makes me think again about the what is entrusted to the hands of a surgeon. Clean and smooth. Perfection is hoped for, prayed for. And I have seen it, it does exist. The hands of a Surgeon creating art. Surgery so beautiful it makes my fingers tingle.  I've seen the opposite as well. Blindly dissecting were there shouldn't be a problem, but it's not clean... it's not safe. And I've concluded that fast is not always a good thing.  I've seen a surgeon so quick because he can recognize anatomy by touch, with his eyes closed. His expertise allowing him to smoothly and quickly perform.  I've also seen quick, because a surgeon simply didn't take the time to recognize anatomy. It is a side of the story that will never be told. I certainly would never tell it.

Much Love.

No comments: