Friday, October 24, 2014

Estoy levantando cajas.



Not only was he still there when I got to the hospital that night, but he was there the following night as well.  How do I put this nicely?..... It is very unfortunate, the tremendous use of resources used by those noncompliant and yet unwilling to leave the hospital.  On more than one occasion I’ve seen a resident burst into our little conference room uttering some expression along the lines of “This is NOT a Hotel!” 

Remember that box analogy I used before?  I’m going to use it again.  The night started off with a box sitting waiting to be picked up. If it could talk, it was basically begging to be picked up.  However, interesting thing about this box was that it was already scheduled to be picked up in the morning.  And therefore during sign out I could tell that the primary team was trying to ignore it until the morning.  Easy for them to do…they weren’t there.  On the other hand, I was there, and it was impossible to ignore it.  It went from begging to demanding to be picked up.  So I assessed the box and called my senior.  He came but like the primary team, concluded that it’ll get picked up in the morning, no need to rush things.  I felt reassured.  However, as the night wore on the box kept getting angrier and angrier.  Eventually, to the point where I finally decided to myself that the box needed to be picked up NOW…not in the morning (which was only a few hours away at that point). I called up the chain again. 4th year came, was unsure so called in the Chief.  Conclusion was still that it could wait until the appointed time of pick-up.  I was not reassured this time, but did feel better that even the Chief had at least assessed the box.  I wasn’t at the hospital when the box was finally picked up.  But I got the story when I came in the following night.  The bottom had basically fallen out, rotted through. It’s still a box now…but it’ll never again be the same. I guess it’s not one person’s fault, and the fact that I had called multiple times to have it picked up throughout the night in a way protects me.  If I’m honest with myself though I may have a bit of a chip on my shoulder against that primary care team now.  That they had seen the box, acknowledged the box and then tried to ignore the box in the first place.  Chip won’t stay for long, but for the moment it’s there.

Much Love.

No comments: