Monday, December 3, 2012

Yo estoy rodeada por ninos.

Started working in Pediatrics today.  Fell before I'd even left the starting gate.  Last Friday I meant to but ended up forgetting to call and ask about where and when to be this morning!  Whoops!  Great start I was off to.  So what did I do?... I slept in this morning!  Figured if I was going nowhere, no sense in getting there early.  Plus....I was just really tired.  After a few phone calls I had finally achieved a semi-understanding of the where and when, and well, I was late of course but set out anyways.  Found my way with just a little circle turning....okay maybe it was a bit more than a little.

Once there, had no trouble jumping right in.  The patients were lined up and packed in waiting for the doctor, and a very minority of them actually spoke English.  Started by helping with some translating.  When I finally switched to seeing my own patients turned out to be a 4 for 1.  Mom and Dad had brought all four of their kids in.  When I finally emerged from the room, had to smile.  In a way that had felt just like home...the medical environment I'd been raised in.  Although in Mexico Dad wouldn't have been there.  Just Mom and all four kids, none of which are sitting still but rather climbing all around the small cramped consult room.  And I must admit the 3 year old was almost immediately my favorite of the day.  He was a rolly polly Mexican boy with faint dimples in his cute little face. 

Hasta!

No comments: