Saturday, November 3, 2012

Yo estoy viviendo.

Literally rode out the storm in bed.  Snuggled under the covers with a book and read until I feel asleep.  Worst I felt the whole night was some random swaying of the building.  Kind of caught me off guard as I wasn't expecting it being on the 6th floor...I really wouldn't consider that high, but sway it did.  I woke up Tuesday morning completely shocked at what I saw out of my window.  Except for the lack of power on the street below all was still and calm, barely a leaf was moving. I checked my own lights and had power.  I had planned on the aftermath to be awful inhibiting me from going to the hospital, but what I saw was the exact opposite and I felt guilty for not going to the hospital. So Wednesday I was half expecting  someone to say something about my absence the day before.  No one said anything, in fact many were still missing on Wednesday, and talking with those who were there......I now understand how blessed I am.  It's literally as if I was in a little bubble and all around me was destroyed.  Everyday at the hospital I overheard new stories of this destruction.  Someone's neighbor had a tree go through the roof of his house and land on his head, wife and children survive.  No power, no heat and no hope of its return for yet another week.  And then Thursday gas started running out.  The tiny corner gas stations had 4 hour waits round the clock each with their own police supervision.  At the beginning of the week people couldn't get to work due to the downed trees and debris. Now they can't get to work because there's no gas to get there.

When I heard that Mr. Mayor of NYC was pushing with the New York Marathon I was honestly a bit upset.  He said that NYC needed to "go on." Tell me, how can you "go on" when you're not even standing again?  I mean its common sense, thousands of angry runners or millions of angry citizens still without permanent shelter, heat, and now gas.  What do YOU think the priority should be?  I later heard that Mr. Mayor cancelled the marathon due to receiving pressure to do so.  I felt a little justified at having been upset earlier...I hadn't been the only one.

I have no pictures to show, but just go to any news source and you'll find plenty.  It's the only thing on the TVs in the break rooms...I'm already getting sick of it.

Hasta!

No comments: