Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Yo estoy muerta!

The Nor'easter is blanketing New York with a thick fluffy layer of heavy wet snow.  This made my commute home more on the negative side of enjoyable.  Starting off I couldn't get my car to move, and when it did it was any way but straight, and in bumper to bumper traffic that's always the wrong direction.  To tell you the truth it scared me almost to tears.  I had no idea how I was gonna get home in that mess.  Somehow I did though.  The snow plows better hop to it as I do not want to do this again tomorrow!

Started at the County Medical Examiner's Office on Monday. Taking a break from trying to keep patients alive and focusing on the dead for a few weeks.  Didn't know how I would take to dead bodies but really it's not bad.  It's just the shell of what once was.  What's important has moved on, abandoned life on earth and will never be needing the shell again.  The body's not a person anymore.  Really....it's just a thing now.  Im sorry if that sounds disrespectful.  I mean no disrespect to those souls that once lived and breathed.
I haven't had the chance to join the investigators on a call yet, but that will come.  Today we finished up by going over a string of scene photos from past cases.  At one point the Chief ME (Dr. Ashar), probably noticing the grimaces on our faces, asked us, "Are you guys sure you want to go to the scenes?"  I honestly replied, "I thought I did."  After seeing case after case of maggot infested bodies......my stomach had turned rather sour.

Hasta!

1 comment:

Schlipf family said...

that is so true..when the last breath has been taken..it is just that a shell. I witnessed that 2ce when the 2 dearest people to me on earth passed away. It came as a surprise to me both times, but what I loved so about them was for sure gone. Just a shell left.
Praying for you that God will be with you in whatever weather, whatever circumstances, you will feel His presence there with you! blessings and love!