Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Yo estoy a casa otra vez.

So I found my way home in the dark! Was a bit nervous starting out, but I just pushed the gas and followed the road and like always the Lord took care of the rest. A few things I discovered about night driving through the Mexican countryside.
1) Mexicans love to use their brights. Sometimes I think they blink them in time to whatever Daddy Yankee song they happen to be listening to at the time.
2) Cops drive with their strobe lights on. Pray you don't get caught behind one; you may just start to seizure.
3) Mexican roads aren't as organized as those in the United States. For example sometimes there is just a wide slab of pavement down and driving is a free-for-all. This is easily done during the day as you can judge the placement of your car by watching the edge of the road in your peripherals. At night that peripheral placement is gone, and for all you know you are driving diagonally across the road into oncoming headlights (whose brights are on of course making you squint further decreasing your current driving ability.)
4) Mexicans love topes (speed bumps). At night topes are harder to see. No I caught no air, but a truck that sped by me as I was crossing one did.
5) I set a goal to make it home in a certain amount of time and I missed it by just 2 minutes. (Alright, the clock changed to 3 minutes just as I pulled into my parking spot, but if it weren't for the topes up my street I would have made it in the 2.)

Today we went to Patzcuaro (I spelled it wrong the other day.) and took a boat to Janitzio (an island in Patzcuaro Lake.)
The Group.
First row: Gloria
Second row: Magi, Laura, Alvaro, Regg, me
Third row: Guille, Issa, Claudia, Lupita, Ana
Fourth row: Nayeli


The island.
The monument on top is of Generalisimo Don Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon



The view from the top of Generalisimo.


Prayer request: I've got an exam in 8 hours. YIKES!!

No comments: