Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Estoy preocupada.

Sometimes I wonder just how altered my reality is compared with the general population when it comes to healthcare in the US. What is accepted, understood and taken at face value without question versus what was exchanged in the transfer, in the phone call between providers, and the explanations and indications offered. 

There is really no way for me to investigate this gap between realities. My perspective and bias will immediately and subconsciously analyze any such attempt thus rendering it invalid. But still, every time I'm frustrated and disgusted, and force myself to pause and paint on a smile before entering a patient's room, I can't help but wonder. 

I remember one of the first times... I was a baby intern, and trying to help my co-resident as he covered a case. Found myself in a bit of a pickle about ownership over a patient that I didn't event know. The pickle very quickly escalated to a rather heated discussion, and some very accusing emails, which ultimately led to a meeting with my program director. (Don't worry, he had my back). But all the while the tempest raged, I didn't let it enter the patient's room. He remained blissfully clueless as to what was going on behind the walls and doors there at the Chester. 

This past weekend my days and nights on call were reversed. Relatively quiet during the days, and then busy all night long. A few select individuals were primarily responsible for the flip-flopping of my days and nights. I get a call at midnight concerning one of these individuals. He needed a surgery, but was in a small ED approximately 1 hour away. So I asked them to send him down to us here in Lafayette. By the next morning I arrive at the hospital, but he was nowhere to be found. Upon further investigation I did finally find him...still at that small ED approximately 1 hour away, and what was an urgent operation at midnight was very quickly becoming an emergent situation. I called the hospital and the only explanation I was given was a lack of transport. And when I explained the emergent nature of the patient's situation, there wasn't even an apology, just a no can do. Skipping to the end of the saga, it was midnight the following night when the patient finally had transport and approximately 3am when I was finally able to see the patient. 

I just have to shake my head. Is this okay, America? Or is it just accepted, because we think we don't have another option, or don't know to ask for another option?

Much Love.

No comments: