Saturday, December 11, 2021

Estoy saltando.

 By the time I had finished residency, I was comfortable on the DaVinci robot. Repaired different types of hernias, removed gallbladders, resected colons and stomachs, removed tumors (adrenal glands, livers, etc), resected lung, plicated diaphragms, etc. and I'll admit I liked using the robot. You loose the tactile sensation that is so vital at times to discern appropriate planes, so it has it's faults, but the benefits are worth it. Finishing up residency, I was even willing to stay until 11pm post call to get that one more last robot case in. But leaving residency I honestly willingly put the robot out of mind as I did not see its usefulness in my future. Upon my request, the team here in Lafayette has started giving me more coverage which has included back-up coverage and subsequent referrals for elective cases. I quickly realized that even if for the time being, I should revisit the idea of using the robot for many of these elective cases. Talk about an unexpected can of worms. My request, though supported by all of my partners, was met with obstruction and some rather angry passive aggressive emails. It caught me off guard, and I still don't really understand why as I see it as common sense when I can offer a patient a better surgery with the robot.... to then offer that patient said better surgery with the robot. But I put my head down and started jumping through the array of hoops thrown at me, lots of hoops. I have my first robot case finally booked, but am not going to believe it until I am physically sitting at the console moving the arms. At the rate things have gone thus far I would not be surprised of further obstructions arising. 

Speaking of elective surgeries, our hospital has cancelled all elective surgery that would require an inpatient admission post operatively, at least until January. There are physically no beds available in Indiana, and ED's are filling up with patient's needing admission, but with no bed open to move them out of the ED to the floors or ICUs. This makes ED wait time long, and just globally increases frustration and inefficiency for all parties involved.  If you're wondering, yes you can blame COVID, no it's not going away.  It recently affected our surgical clinic offices, but thankfully everyone was vaccinated and able to wait out quarantine at home with manageable to little symptoms.

Much Love.

No comments: