Saturday, October 16, 2021

Estoy tomando cafe.

I'm glad I ran with the momentum spurred by the post-oral-board-surreal high last Monday and put down the previous blog post. It was after I finished that post, I unfortunately, made a bad decision. Granted wasn't aware how poor my decision would be until it was too late.  I had decided to list the case topics I was given during my oral boards. Just for funsies, you know, to share with colleagues in the future, or potentially for future studying etc. As I recalled each topic, naturally the case replayed in my head, and one by one I started to realize everything I had said wrong, mismanaged, poorly staged and by following the corresponding algorithm, offered incorrect treatment. The process had an effect that snowballed into an avalanche and that surreal adrenaline rush ended as fast as one would plummet off a cliff. There it was! There was that disappointment I had been expecting! Hello, old friend, and oh-so-reliable, loyal even. 

Having my normal post-exam despondency renewed and intact once again. I set about seeking to fulfill the typical need for distraction that goes hand-in-hand with such despondency. 1) Started into the pile of books I've had on my reading list for years. Even took out a library card with determination to make a dent in said list. 2) My partners, responding to my request for additional responsibility, have entered a new contract with a nearby community hospital. Now is a bunch of paperwork to expand my privileges to that hospital, and then starting in November, Lord willing, I will be covering clinic and outpatient surgery there once a week. 3) Last but not least, attempting to make it through my hastily dumped pile of mail, bills, license renewals and the like which had accumulated over the past couple of months, ignored on the principle that studying and focusing on my boards took priority. 

I would have loved to fly away as part of my "distraction" and explore a new corner of this world, but honestly, by adhering to my existing call schedule in Lafayette, with the additions of the distractions listed above, there really wasn't much room to give any extended way to despondency. In addition, I was able to visit Illinois to see my nephews for my birthday. Happy birthday to me!

Much Love! 

No comments: