Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Estoy festejando.

 My co-chiefs and I are so happy these days. Seriously. You pass us in the hallway, chances are we're smiling. You pass by the chief call room and chances are you'll hear laughter floating out from behind the door. We can't help it. Everything is just soooo hilarious these days. 

Our program is having issues again with accreditation. Issues we dealt with for the past few years, many changes were made, a lot of teamwork, and ultimately we were given the green light again, without probation or anything. Turns out some individuals have decided to try to sink the program again. At first I took it a bit personally as a chief, working all year to make sure everyone is happy, has their days off, gets along with everyone. But now as specific complaints are starting to surface, I am rendered speechless. It has nothing to do with us as chiefs and everything to do with a feeling of self-entitlement. I am just that much happier to be leaving now, because this problem.... is unfixable. No matter what is offered as improvement, will not be good enough. 

And so we laugh. And look forward to the future. 

The parties on the weekends have started. 

First party was hosted at the home of our co-chief Vasu Chirumamilla.

Graduating chiefs: Me, Ansab, Ash, Vasu

It was time for the cake. Vasu handed us all plastic knives so we could cut the cake. (Cake is decorated with the DaVinci Robot - Vasu is doing a fellowship in robotic surgery next year).

This is Dr. Corrado Marini. I worked with Dr. Marini as a research fellow 8 years ago and what publications resulted from that year were all because of his leadership. Then I was able to work with him for two years as a resident until he had to leave us. Vasu had invited him to the party, and I am so glad he came. Dr. Marini is the smartest man I know. His knowledge is unbelievable (the kind that he could tell you the 15th chapter of Marino's ICU book is better in the 12th edition than the 14th edition because of the explanation as described on p457 of the 12th edition.) I could listen to him teach for hours. I think I've managed to impress him just 3 times out of all these years. #1) I didn't complain when I sat for hours looking through mountains of charts to enter data point after data point  #2) I put together a research proposal and studied until my explanation of the statistics was well polished (I think I came off sounding like I knew what I was talking about)  and finally #3) I made it through residency. He, like many many others, confessed that he didn't think they would give me a spot. But God's ways are above our ways. 

Love and Prayers!

10 days. 1 call.


No comments: