Friday, April 23, 2021

Estoy regresando al corazón.

Spent more time playing video games and running this week than doing surgery. Granted both were very purposeful, even though they sound like I'm slacking. 

Passing the Fundamentals of Endoscopic Surgery exam is obligatory in order to be considered eligible to sit for the General Surgery board exam. At least it was until COVID. Last year required an exception clause to that rule, and it has yet to be reinstated. That being said, testing centers are open again, so my co-chiefs and I went ahead and signed up. Hence the playing video games. I spent hours staring at a screen making my way through a simulated colon popping balloons, picking up balls and putting them in baskets. Ok, perhaps it was more involved than that, but in the process many balloons lost their lives to my preparation. Now just need to wait and find out if their sacrifice was in vain... I hope not!

Playing the video games, interrupted my ability to be in the OR. This was expected, and why I specifically scheduled FES while I was scheduled to be at MidHudson. With minimal responsibility, my absence is the easiest to achieve with minimal effect on any co-resident. But I felt the lack of operating as a result. Even on call, I followed my call team around waiting for them to give me something to do, but other than helping them with traumas and procedures, no cases were operative that I could take to the OR. 

As for the running, honestly, just trying to keep my head attached. 8 weeks!

Love and Prayers


No comments: