Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Estoy tratando de estar lista.

I feel like I'm settling. Not in a way of accepting less... nothing like that kind of settling. It's more a giving up of the resistance I've had to be a "chief," and a giving in and acceptance of being out of my comfort zone. After all, it is out of our comfort zones where we can grow the most, and learn the most. Where Jesus can meet us and call us up even further. I never would have signed up to be a chief; I don't want to be chief. But it's part of the process, and it's here whether I want it or not. I'm finally settled and ready to try, to do my best. Let's see what is in store for me to learn!! A whole bunch, I can only imagine!

My batch mates and I have made the transition to 100% chief call. As we were so starved for chief call last year we've collectively decided to take q4 call for the first few months of the year and then slowly transition, taking less call as the year progresses. It means we'll be working extra hard for the next couple of months... but that's nothing new. With us taking so much call the remaining years are very happy with the call schedules we have released, as it's much lighter than what they are accustomed.

As for taking chief call... it's a blast. I can literally operate all night and finally let my team deal with the... let's just call it lack of common sense, that drips from the consults we receive at times. Yesterday I went to the OR at approximately 2-3pm with one of my level 1 traumas that had just come in, by the time we finished and I got my patient to the recovery unit my attending was calling that GYN was in over their heads in the OR and calling for an intraoperative consult. We went in and took over. By the time we finished there one of my team members came to transport my patient for me as a transplant was on the table and about to start. By the time I finally got to leave the OR it was after 3am. I knew that it was a busy call for the team, but my job was to operate and let the ED senior handle the management of the business. For example, it was the ED senior that came to the OR to transport my patient so that I could cover the transplant case. He was managing the cases, the traumas, the ED consults and he needed me to cover the transplant, and I was happy to oblige. I started taking ED senior call as a PGY2, and after 3 years in that role I am so happy to not be there any more. And barring a second wave of COVID19 coming and wiping us all out, I don't plan to ever stand in that role again!

Much love and prayers.

No comments: