Saturday, March 14, 2020

Estoy operando en el corazón.

I get to spend the next few weeks operating with the cardiac guys. Cardiothoracic surgery is technically not considered part of "General Surgery". I'm not sure when that happened, but we as residents no longer get to rotate on the cardiac service here at WMC, but we do on the thoracic service. There has to be some politics involved in the reasoning behind that, hence the reason that I don't question nor try to dig deeper into the reasoning. I'm content with the thoracic experience I have had thus far and am thankful I get a Cardiac rotation now. It's relatively new, and not every resident gets the opportunity. It started last year with one of my co-residents who was considering a future in cardiac surgery himself. He requested the rotation and was granted it. I was asked for this year if I would like to have a block in cardiac myself. I didn't hesitate in my answer.


Since there are no residents, the cardiac service is staffed by PAs and NPs. They have a well-oiled machine. Everyone has a job, they know their position, and they know what is expected of them. Thus far everyone has been very receptive to my presence. In general, the OR staff already knows who I am, so other than asking why I am in a Cardiac room they don't mind. The cardiac attendings also know me already and don't hesitate to teach. The PA's have been very nice, and only one has thus far been condescending. In my experience, PA's tend to be territorial. As I described, they have their specific job, and they take pride in it, or at least a good PA does. So when someone they don't know comes in and suddenly they are asked to step down the table, they can subconsciously resent that someone. Some PA's hide the resentment better than others. I've made a conscious effort to make sure everyone knows there is a time limit to my rotation.  Primarily, so that the PA's can take solace in the knowledge that my presence is short lived, and hopefully reduce any condescension to a minimum.


It's only been a few days so far, but I'm having a blast. Referring to the well-oiled machine, it is a very busy machine. I basically don't leave the OR all day, finish in one room, and then move to the next, and then the next. I haven't participated in cardiac surgery since my rotation as a student in pediatric cardiac surgery, easily the best month of my medical school career. So excited to get to participate again, just absolutely fantastic surgeries!!!


Update on coronavirus: our medical students are all banned from the ORs. First, shortage of masks due to theft. But also now, there's a shortage of masks, gowns, eye wear and hats which are all produced in China. So everything is rationed.
We had a resident out sick with the flu yesterday, he is now quarantined until he can get tested for coronavirus and due to lack of testing not sure when that will be. Call schedule rearranged until further notice. I figure, might as well work, nothing else is going on the world over!

No comments: