Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Estoy creciendo mas.

At some point the pupil must break off on his/her own. At some point the teacher must turn the role over to the student. Blood, sweat and sacrifice put into the process of transforming the student into the professor. I saw a glimpse of this process the other day as I scrubbed with my attending on the creation of an Arteriovenous Fistula. Fistula created and wound clean my attending broke scrub with instructions not to close the wound until absolute hemostasis was achieved. In other words, make sure that everything had stopped bleeding. It quickly became evident that what we had thought was hemostasis was not as I had come across some uncontrolled bleeding coming from a corner almost underneath the artery with no obvious source. My Attending took a look as blood continually filled up the surgical site almost as quickly as I could suction it out. He asked me if I could handle it. (Now, I'm way past the point of ever saying no to that question. I want nothing more than to "handle it". Let me figure it out and learn!) So I told him yes, and he left the room. I knew he didn't really believe me, but the fact that he was giving me the chance to attempt to prove myself was the best birthday present I could have received. I found a hole in the artery that had probably been caused by our clamp during the procedure, I put a tiny stitch in it and voila, hemostasis achieved. When my Attending did pop his head back into the room prepared to have to scrub back in, I was already closing the wound. Student's starting to flap her wings!

I was priviledged to be able to attend the Wedding of Marcy Bahler and Myron Kaeb this past weekend. While staying up in CT, I was surprised with a birthday cake of chocolaty deliciousness.


L to R: Kate Walder, Amanda V, me, Jenna, Emily Walder, and visitors for the wedding Kelsey and Dawn.  All stopped by for a happy birthday and a hug!

What's a birthday without my birthday song?


And an additional birthday song this year :)


"Give me freedom, give me fire
Give me reason, take me higher
In the streets our heads are liftin'
As we lose our inhibition
Celebration, it surrounds us
Every nation, all around us
Saying forever young
Singing songs underneath the sun
Let's rejoice in the beautiful game
And together at the end of the day, we all say
When I get older I will be stronger
They'll call me freedom just like a wavin' flag"

Praising Jesus for granting me another year!
Much Love.

No comments: