Monday, September 26, 2016

eu sou grato

I learned three phrases in Portuguese this past weekend.
hello = oi
yes = sim
no thank you = não obrigada
  
Can't say I actually used them all that much. There's only so far into a conversation you can go with not much more then hello.  Unless that conversation is with a baby... I found it quite humorous to hear a Brazilian say hello to a baby, "oioioioioioioi!" 

Wagner is one of my co-residents. He was actually a 1st year prelim with me two years ago, and now he's back at the hospital as a 2nd year prelim. He invited me to join him and his wife at his sister's house in Pennsylvania for a Brazilian BBQ just like they do back home. To be honest, I was still in bed when he called Saturday to let me know they were about ready to leave, and seriously considered staying there. But the idea of a really unique experience won out in the end and I was soon out the door.
 The BBQ started at 3pm. The first meat to go on were the short ribs. Above picture, spearing the short ribs. They were the first to go on, and then the last to come off, passing the evening slow cooking on the higher racks above the coals.

A cooler full of meat already lined up and ready for the BBQ.

So Much Meat. As one would finish it would come off the BBQ, be sliced and passed around on a plate. There were toothpicks available, but half the time just pick a piece up with your fingers and lick them clean afterwards. 

Meat wasn't the only thing served. There was also rice and feijoada (Brazilian black beans). But it was mainly the meat.

Chicken heart
They loved them and would gulp down two or three at a time. I was so lucky to grab one with the aorta still attached.  obrigada, mas não obrigada.

Each meat was cut right off from the skewer. This was the spicy sausage. The Mexican in me was so under impressed with their version of "spicy"

 This gentleman owns a Brazilian restaurant there in PA. He blessed us by cooking all of our meat for us; half of the night with his son hanging on his neck. :) They were from an area of Brazil with German ancestors, you can tell in the blonde hair of the next generation. :)

 This gentleman in pink is apparently super famous in Brazil. Everyone kept making sure I was aware of how famous he was. He was explained to me as kind of like Shania Twain famous. He used to sing Brazilian country music with his brother (Gian & Giovani), but they have since split up and he's currently touring in the states and joined forces with the gentleman on the right, Doug Sanders. Doug is a friend of the family, hence why they were there Saturday with their band. 

Pretty sure I was the only one there that night who did not stand up for a picture with Gian, but I could still appreciate the music. :)

Much Love.

No comments: