Saturday, August 13, 2016

Estoy cubierto de lodo.

As a resident, there is an unspoken, non-acknowledged role you play in the patient-physician relationship between your Attending and your patient. They think it's just them and their doctor. The patients, that is.  They think they have a direct relationship with their primary doctor, the one who takes care of them. But they don't see behind the scenes. For good reason, as behind the scenes, more times than not, is an all-out mudpie-to-the-face chaotic mess. and No. One. wants to deal with mess. That's the unspoken, non-acknowledged role of the resident. Clean up the mess, without leaving a stain on the Attending, and most definitely without letting the patient even hear a single mudpie kersplat!
It's a very, very unfortunate role, as it usually takes up +66% of a resident's time, yet holds about 0.025% educational value.

The only way to change this: stop throwing mudpies. 

Came upon a very random patient interaction the other day. I was taking care of an elderly patient's ostomy.  I push a little conversation at times like those, aid in distraction for all involved. So when some water spilled on the patient and he exclaimed "Many are cold, but few are frozen" I snatched at the conversation starter and asked him to elaborate. To which he responded, "many are called, but few are chosen." I'll admit, it caused me to pause. I'm not used to doors held wide open, makes me think there's a trick waiting behind it or something. In the end, it wasn't a long conversation, didn't need to be as I finished my task soon enough. But it makes me wonder what he thinks about lying in bed all day. He had no conclusion to the statement at that time, maybe I should ask again...

Much Love.

For many are called, but few are chosen. Matthew 22:14

No comments: