Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Estoy presentando M&M.

M&M:  Not only isolated to the field of General Surgery, but spans the spectrum, a common occurrence in all fields of medicine.

Morbidity & Mortality Conference. A weekly conference where peers gather to review a particular complication and/or death.

In General Surgery, routinely a Chief resident presents the M&M. However, the didactic set up for our program is undergoing some renovations. For the better, we would all agree. But due to this change if fell on me to present a large complication at conference today.

Once assigned, I'll admit that I pouted a bit. Complained that "I'm only a 2nd year, going to be an intern next year!!" To which I got an eye roll and a correction "you're just a few months away from being a PGY3 (year 3 resident)."  Secretly though, I felt that if someone had come and taken the M&M away from me... I'd have felt like I failed without even getting to try.

It's a part of our life. We have complications. We have deaths. M&M conference is put in place for us to talk about and learn from such things.  And as a resident, presenting the M&M and then standing front and center while your Attendings all take turns questioning your reasoning for each decision made in the process, pushed me to prepare, and then prepare again, and prepare again.

Much Love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! No whinging!