Saturday, December 12, 2015

Estoy aprendiendo.

The role of the resident and the role of the Attending varies from surgery to surgery and is typically dictated by the familiarity of the Attending with any particular resident. In other words, the more you scrub with an Attending, the more comfortable that Attending gets with you and the more he/she will allow you to do in surgery. Or so it typically goes.

Usually the last and final element of a particular surgery relinquished by an Attending into the hands of a resident is the most high-risk part. For example, in the case of a cholecystectomy (removal of a gallbladder) this would be isolating and ligating the Cystic Duct and Cystic Artery. I finally got to do this myself just this past Friday. Afterwards, my attending said that my every move had given him a heart attack.  He was being facetious... I think.  I hope. 

I can understand why an Attending doesn't just hand over the knife to any resident, but at the same time... they should. I'm halfway through my second year of residency and have finally done my first gall bladder from start to finish. That's too late in my opinion. But finding that Attending who will relinquish control and at the same time have the patience to let us learn... a more rare finding unfortunately. 

I'm back in Bridgeport for the month of December.  In months past, I've rented a room across from the hospital for my rotations here.  This December I get to stay with Jenna Wiegand. Jenna moved to the East Coast this past summer from Oregon to work for a company based out of CT and lives 10 miles from the hospital.

I have never before appreciated large blow up Christmas yard decorations. But for some reason on a corner balcony... it's perfect!

 Taking a walk with Jenna. Crossing the Housatonic River.
  
Just to give you a visual image of the kind of chica I'm staying with this month...
 
She puts together amazing things like this.
A Hot Chocolate Bar and cozy night for the single sisters of the Rockville church. 
 
 
 Attempting to spread some Christmas cheer at work! ;)

Much Love.
















No comments: