Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Estoy almorzando.

Something that has become important to me this year of residency is Team Lunch.  I can't recall any team lunches my entire intern year. Not sure why.  Food is good.  We should eat food.

Granted lunch doesn't happen everyday let alone team lunch, but when it does it's a wonderful thing. The months when Adi and I were on the same team, Adi really made an effort to make sure we got lunch as often as possible.  We eventually had put together a group text and started announcing team lunch to all the teams, and we'd get a few each time come and join us.

One thing I've noticed about Team Lunch. (other than food is good.) You're sitting around a table, eating, talking and laughing. By the end of the month the team has become a family. In my experience it only takes a couple. So out of a whole month, manage to grab a Team Lunch two to three or four times and it'll strengthen the team as well as your bodies. Like I said, food is good!

This month at Bridgeport one of our interns is an orthopod rotator. Really nice guy, good worker no one has any complaints. But he always made as quick an exit as possible. Nothing wrong with that. Then today we made some major progress!! At the end of the day when the night resident arrives it's always a question of timing between food (do people have time to get food before the cafeteria closes?) and running the list. This evening I made the decision to run the list first so we could hand off the pager to the night resident and then before any more consults came in go grab food as a team. I knew that by running the list first I was running the risk that our ortho friend would take off on us, but he didn't! He even commented on it himself saying, "I'm still here! Progress!"

Progress, indeed.  I tell you my friends. You need a team building exercise?  Team Lunch is a beautiful thing.

Much Love.

No comments: