Friday, May 22, 2015

Estoy buascando peces.

I think something has happened to me over the past year. Something along the lines that only a Psychiatrist could put their finger on and say this... this is what has happened.  You see, I got home last night and had this most glorious feeling.  It came from the knowledge that I was going to be able to sleep, and sleep until I woke up without an alarm. And realization hit me, that is not a normal place for "glorious feelings" to come from. Why do I perseverate so much on this subject?  Sleep. When do I get to sleep next? How long can I sleep? When should I set the alarms? Some could say there's an obvious answer to all of this.  But I suppose it just made me a little sensitive to the topic when I realized just how excited I really was at the prospect of getting to sleep last night.

Due to the holiday weekend, the master schedule has me working Sunday with Saturday and Monday off. My chief did a little rearranging and gave me today (Friday) off and instead I am to round on Saturday and Monday. "rounding" supposedly being 6hr days hence why having Friday off I should come out equal.  However, everyone knows that when you get to work at 5am and the Attending doesn't show up till 1pm and rounds last 2 hours, your 6hr day of rounding has been, well...  not 6 hours. One thing I've learned about all my co-residents: Even the laziest surgery resident is not afraid to work long and hard.

This now being the second month that I have been on the Vascular surgery service I'm starting to realize that pathologies tend to come in groups on this service.  Currently there are two that we are seeing a lot of. 1) My Attendings have been doing multiple Carotid Endarterectomies a week.  (Carotid = arteries supplying blood to the brain, Endarterectomy = surgical removal of plaque causing obstruction of the vessel).  I unfortunately do not get to help with any of these cases as my chief takes them all.  2) There have been multiple admits to the hospital of individuals that have been found in their apartments having been down for days. They come in completely out of their minds, sick as dogs, and legs necrotic and festering. We amputate. We remove the immediate threat to life.  We remove the foot, the feet, the leg... whatever it happens to be for that particular case.  Why are there so many this month? No clue, but something is up.

Much Love.

No comments: