Friday, September 27, 2013

Yo estoy una cereza.

I first became acquainted with Patient Y (Paty) last week.  Brought in by EMS accompanied by her guards from the prison where she currently resides, Paty presented to the ED as a level 1 trauma with a pencil and a tweezers stuck in her abdomen.  As the story has unfolded since then, it turns out this is about the 10th time Paty has presented with objects in her abdomen, pencil being a favorite. Put there by non-other but Paty herself.  At least half of the trauma surgeons at WMC have operated on Paty, and to hear them tell it her abdomen is an absolute mess.  What I want to know is, with her history and in a place with a 24 hour guard, HOW DID SHE GET A PENCIL?!?!?!?!  New York says it's an inmate's right to have a pencil, you say?  Well then, I'm soooooo sorry to disagree, but when a person has REPEATEDLY proven to be a danger unto him/herself with said pencil, then NOOOOOOOO!!! YOU DO NOT GET A PENCIL!!!!

NO!!!!! NO!!!! NO PENCIL FOR YOU!!!!

Really, the New York prison system should be ashamed of themself for allowing this to repeatedly happen!

Hold on, moving onto mini vent #2.

All any person has to do is talk with me for a whole two minutes and they've seen me get red.  The vast majority of people don't comment.  And for the rest, well I've gotten used to it and just laugh along.  But once in awhile.....arrrrrh.  Yesterday one of the secretaries that I talk with usually on a daily basis couldn't resist the urgh and reached out to pinch my cheek gushing, "awwww, look at those cherry cheeks."  I was fine yesterday (surprising I know, after being treated like a 5 year old), but then today she made another such comment and for some reason this time it rubbed me the wrong way.   Really?!?!  You had your fun yesterday, we all laughed, MOVE ON now already.

Guess I've got to grow that skin another layer thicker.

Hasta!

No comments: