Saturday, October 20, 2012

Yo estoy aprendiendo.

Anesthesiology: The medical study and application of anesthestics.
Cocktail: A mixture of substances or factors

For the past two weeks I've been using the first definition above to create the second definition above. The goal effects of my cocktails being sedation, amnesia and anesthesia (sleepiness, forgetfulness and painlessness).  I choose this particular elective due to Anesthesiology being a very important part of the OR and in many ways works symbiotically with Surgery.  Plus it's almost like a backdoor to the OR.  I'm not doing the surgery, but at least I'm in the OR.

It's taken me a while to post because to be honest...I've been a bit of a 'debbie downer' lately.  Being back in the hospital again I'm around all the other students who are talking about all the interviews they've gotten, etc..whereas not only have I not received an invitation for an interview but in their place I've received denials for interviews.  The whole business just makes those jagged rocks far below look dangerously close.  Sigh. Anything can still happen, but it doesn't make the now any less scary or any more fun.  But on with life...

So far my general concensus of Anesthesiologists is that they are very smart lazy people (with the exception of course).  They are really busy at the beginning and at the end, but if the case is longer, it's not uncommon to see them sitting back in a chair on their ipad or smart phone in the middle of a case.  I was explaining this to someone last weekend and at the end he concluded..."So...you don't want to be an ipad doctor then?"

One of my main goals has been to become successful at intubation (sticking a tube down someone's throat).  After my first unsuccessful attempt it was concluded that I hadn't completely dislocated the jaw :/ which I found believable because the guy's teeth were super sharp, and I hadn't found the idea of prying them open attractive.  To encourage me I was told it usually takes at least 20 to get a successful intubation.  Which was encouraging at the time, but now I'm starting to wonder if they were just saying that because I ended up being successful on the 3rd patient I tried and have had 100% success rate since.  New goal: maintain success rate...a.k.a. get really smooth and swift at it.

Since I've last posted I finally received the score report for the USMLE step 2 CS I took back in July.  It was a pass which I was so relieved to receive.  I very strongly disliked the CS and just dreaded the idea of having to do it again.

I've also had another birthday.  I had spent the whole day in the hospital which was fine until I was finally leaving and realized I had just spent my entire birthday in the hospital. :(  Had planned on dinner with Kevin and Cheryl Ryan so at least there was something different and special already planned and I wouldn't have to resort to McDonald's to celebrate! ;)  As we were waiting for the lasagna to finish baking the Viens and Lis Ballasy from CT all of a sudden showed up turning the small dinner into a surprise birthday party!! It was very humbling.  How am I so blessed to have friends and family such as these? :)  Bekah took video and photos perhaps I'll have a video to post of the night soon! :)

Pictures from today:
Walking up Horse Barn Hill.  UConn campus Storrs, CT  (Bekah Viens and Amanda Virkler)

Looking over UConn campus from Horse Barn Hill


Hasta!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hang in there girl! i'm sure you'll bound to get an interview....i found this wonderful program that is very opened to foreign grads...i know it's not surgery, but it's still worth looking at...

http://fm.mednet.ucla.edu/IMG/img_program.asp

:)