Thursday, December 15, 2022

Estoy a hogar.

 Eight years. It had been eight long years since last I was in Ixtlan, Mexico. At least in my defense I can semi blame COVID, as I had originally planned to visit in 2020, which we all know what happened to travel plans back then. But still, to my family in Ixtlan, I'm sorry. I should have visited sooner.

I drove that distance between Guadalajara and Ixtlan too many times to count in the four years that I lived there. I'd say it's that type of drive where you sometimes miss which landmarks you've passed, and all of a sudden you're at your destination. But I'd know that to not be honest about Mexican driving.  In Mexico you've got to pay attention at all times, otherwise you'll ram full speed into that next tope. May or may not be speaking from experience there. Despite knowing that route like the back of my hand, I still found myself a bit apprehensive returning and wondering just how much in 8 years it had changed and if I'd still know the way. Turns out, I had absolutely no reason to be apprehensive. It came flooding back as we made our way towards Ixtlan. Every turn, every sign, every tope, every roadside stand and every town we passed through was the same. By the time we turned down cinco de mayo and made our way home, I had that comfortable sensation that feels like kicking your shoes off, or drinking water from the garrafon, or walking down the middle of the street giving way to the goats and greeting everyone with a friendly "adios". Thankful for a few days that I was able to spend in Ixtlan de los Hervores this past week.


Sunset from the balcony of Bethesda. Good night world.

Outing in Zamora with Issa and Lupita.


Shopping in Zamora.

Passing through the plaza in Zamora. 

Tacos. yes please! Nothing quite so good as Mexican street tacos. 
 
Joel was willing to be my buddy. His sister Amelia wasn't quite so sure. (Lupita's littles).

Heading out for a morning bike ride.

Through the campos beyond Ixtlan, through Limon, Plaza del Limon and all the way to Valenciano

Issa humored me when I asked for a photo break.

Heading back to Ixtlan

Initially passed this home without a second thought. Then stopped and turned back to take a picture of Mexican ingenuity, literally using stacks of bricks and 2x4's precariously nailed together to support the balconey being constructed above.

It's dry season in Ixtlan right now. More than a few people commented on how brown everything is right now. But the bougainvilleas on the side of the church illustrate what "dry" and "brown" in Mexico is considered. Just imagine their rainy green season!
 
I got to go up to the secundaria and help a couple of days with their practice for the Christmas program.

Loved getting to know the Gerber family better. Their oldest Caleb was a toddler when I left and Abby a baby when I visited in 2014. Grabbed a photo quick with Abby and Suzy during kid's club on Friday evening. 

Girl's afternoon out at El Kuri for seafood. Issa & Lupita.

Afternoon from the top of the stairs

Sunset from the top of the stairs. All week long they were burning the fields. And of course skies clear all week long except the one evening I want to photograph the sunset.

Sunrise from Bethesda

Issa & Cecy
 
  
Elsa, Issa & Lupita
 
Much Love.

No comments: