Sunday, May 29, 2022

Estoy dando abrazos.

He was the kind of guy that needed two personal cell phones. He was the kind of guy that got a kick out of translating his vernacular for me. He was the kind of guy that did not give hugs. 

But what if he needed a hug? 

He awoke from surgery, blinking the effects of anesthesia from his eyes. I stood at his bed side letting him know surgery was done. Turning his head towards my voice and attempting to bring my face into focus, his eyes filled with great big teddy bear tears. He grabbed my hand that had been resting on his arm to help emphasize reassurance, and began to pull me in. In a second the situation raced through my brain. His week-old unwashed body, the unkempt beard now filled with mucous and bile results of intubation and gastric decompression, the tube still exiting from his nare now clamped and laying across his chest, not to mention the need for acrobatics just to bend my body over the bed railing to get close enough to wrap my arms half his circumference. All with lingering anesthesia still running through his veins, he wouldn't remember any of this anyways. What would you do? Would you hug him?

 

I continue to make use of my time here in the MidWest. Spent the other weekend snuggling Lainey Rae, and enjoying time with Regg & Bev's growing family.

Lainey Rae. I think she looks like her big brothers.

Speaking of big brothers: proving you can't be too young to absolutely destroy a charcuterie board. 
Okay, maybe the three adults helped a little bit! 

Boyd (left) enjoyed picking some dandelions for us. Deja vu?  Tucker (right)

Much Love.
P.S. Of course you hug him!


No comments: