Sunday, August 30, 2020

Estoy preparando por la próxima semana.

Already a week into Block 3 of the year. It’s going by even faster than I could have imagined! I had a brand new team start this past week. I was a touch more apprehensive than previous blocks as I had never worked with any of my team members before, and therefore wasn’t sure if I would need to alter my approach at all. Turns out, on Vascular, there’s no time to worry about your approach anyways. But for the most part they all kept up, even caught on quicker than last block. Maybe members from last block gave the incoming residents helpful pointers? Probably, but eitherway, I hadn’t needed to have worried.

As nice as it is to be busy and operating every day, I’d be lying if I said keeping up with the active schedules of all 6 of our Vascular attendings wasn’t exhausting. In the first 8 weeks (2 blocks) there was a grand total of one day, I had been able to spend some extra time with my team. And that one day, happened only because one of our attendings was on vacation that week and it was usually his operative day. It happened for the second time this past Friday! Again, because one of our attendings was on vacation and its usually his operative day. My rounds in the morning, took probably twice as long as they usually do, as I spent time with the medical students going over presentations.  I had warned them the day before to be ready, and they did a fine job. I’d wait till they finished, racking up the corrections in my head as they presented, then go back over them one by one. I was nice… at least I think I was. Told them they were doing a fantastic job, etc. Yet, for one student you could see the beads of sweat multiplying on his brow as he shuffled back and forth before me trying to get through his presentation. I should make more of an effort to have the students present more often, with practice it’ll become easier for them.

I still got to operate that day. It wasn’t Vascular, but I helped cover a case for the Thoracic team. And then, I had plans to spend time studying. But to my happy surprise, each time I walked into our chief call room, I’d find my co-chiefs Ansab and Ash, chilling and talking. So of course I had to join them. This had never happened before! Our paths cross, yes, but usually it’s while one of us is either running in or running out of the call room and consists of a Hi and Bye! So, by the end of the day, I hadn’t studied at all, but we had discussed schedules, interns, attendings, futures, struggles and methods of chiefing, and I had even gotten lunch! We all concluded that it was a very weird day, but welcome. We wouldn’t change it.

All of my Attendings are back again this week, so planning for a very full and busy week once again.

Much love and prayers.

No comments: