Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Estoy practicando mis palabras.

I went to my first deposition today.

I received the deposition subpoena some time ago and quite honestly did not know what to make of it. Thankfully my lawyer met with me last week to answer any questions that I had as to my role and what to expect.

Advice that I received from various sources:
- Do not volunteer information.
- Answer yes or no.
- Always think and/or pause at least 2 seconds before answering.
- Whatever you do, don’t get angry.
- No matter how nice he is to you, the plantiff’s lawyer is NOT your friend.

I asked my lawyer if she likes depositions, as I could not imagine doing this as a job. Without directly saying yes, she instead gave examples that I could understand just how a lawyer loves the thrill of a deposition.

And I saw it first hand. Rapid fire questions requiring you to be on edge the entire time. Correctly placed “objections” to protect your client. The entire time a word game to catch a lie or incriminating words. Things can escalate quickly.

One of my attendings told me his longest deposition was eight hours. Thankfully mine did not last that long. But it gave me a new appreciation for lawyers, as in a way I could relate to the focus and mental stamina they must possess. Think of a liver transplant, one that goes well lasts roughly 5hours with the most important part 4hours into the case. Loss of focus for a second and the stitch is misplaced, the duct transected, or anastamosis under too much tension.  Likewise a lawyer’s loss of focus four hours into the deposition and they miss the question that is reworded and reasked for the 15th time and the client answers before they can object. And just like in the transplant, things can escalate quickly with perhaps poor outcome.

I am thankful for lawyers, and will gladly leave the word games to them.

Much Love.

No comments: