Saturday, January 7, 2017

Estoy de regreso.

Last month was nice. I would almost liken last month as 'play.'  I got to spend a whole month of my professional training, playing, and it was oh so much fun. But now I'm back. Back in the Trauma ICU. Back to being me again.

Plastic surgery had an incredibly flexible schedule. I was never needing to show up early to the hospital, and frequently we'd arrange different starting times for the day pending our schedule. I was assuming that going back to an earlier schedule and the increased weekly work hours would prove difficult after basically "playing" all last month. But thankfully, the transition back was easy and smooth.

I started my month in TICU covering nights. The ICU keeps you busy, and after this week my jacket definitely needed washing. There were blood spatters from arterial lines when I took two seconds too long to connect the tubing. Or just last night when one of our TBI patients projectile vomited ketamine-laced emesis at my attempts to place a tube down his nose. I knew he had to involuntarily swallow eventually and I got that tube all the way to the duodenum. Success!

Jacket is now washed and hanging up to dry. :)

Much Love.

No comments: