Sunday, July 3, 2016

Estoy en un enigma.

July 1st, and a brand new batch of interns walked into the hospitals across our nation. I walked into the hospital same as June 30th, but instead of heading to the Trauma Bay I walked up to the 4th floor. Same as the night before, but completely different. A step backwards signifying a giant leap forwards. I waited until my fellow interns gave me sign out, gathered my collection of lists and then headed down to the trauma bay. I found I wasn't quite sure what to do. Two years ago, as an intern, I stayed up on the floor the whole night. At that time I was unaware of goings on in the Trauma Bay or what my seniors did all night long. Nor was I particularly interested, so focused I was, on doing my own job the best I could.  But I can't do that now. It's hard to describe what this year will be like, especially at this point, in its first few days. Mainly because I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do myself. Do the intern job, sure, that'll be the easy part.  But what more, or how much more? In one way it has been explained to me that "people will expect you to function like an intern but ask you to function like a senior." Whatever this year, or even the next two years end up being, it'll be an adventure.

From my first night as a categorical intern. L to R: Irony (5th year Chief), Rachelle (4th year night float senior), Me (Night float floor intern), and Adi (2nd year night float junior). At least, those are the official titles. In actuality, in the same order, we're 6th yr, 4th yr, 3rd yr and 4th yr. In the words of Rachelle, the "stacked" night float team. Let's just say, it wasn't a mistake that Adi and myself were both scheduled for July night float. ;)

Much Love.

No comments: