Saturday, September 12, 2015

Estoy mirando tiempos melancólicos

A patient dying in the Medical ICU was taken to the OR the other day by my Attendings.  yes, (s) as in plural.  All my Attendings.  Surgeons can be funny creatures sometimes.  I was all set to scrub in on this case, but one after another the Attendings poked their heads into the OR and invited themselves to scrub in.  In the end there were three Attendings, one Fellow and one Chief Resident all scrubbed in for the case. So alas, I was bumped. But I was not about to leave.  The OR was packed because we all wanted to know what was in the belly. Would we find dead bowel? or simply a belly full of blood?  Either way something was making the patient sick, sick enough they could die on the table. Time was of the essence.

That scene has happened a couple of times the past two weeks since my return to WMC. And it makes me smile how giddy everyone gets in anticipation. Even residents that aren't scrubbed in will stop by the OR periodically to see if they can catch a glimpse of the action.

Last week was my turn to provide the education for our weekly resident "education hours".  Topic assigned to me was the esophagus.  I, of course, prepared the day prior and sent the powerpoint to the Attending assigned to work with me at 11:30pm the night before the presentation. He hasn't let me forget it yet... and I have a feeling he doesn't plan on letting me forget it either.

In one of the hallways of the children's hospital there is a doll collection encased on shelves that line the walls. On occasion I take a two second pause in passing to see if I can pick out a favorite.  I think they may have mixed these two up. Just maybe.
Still no favorites though.


Much Love,

No comments: