Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Yo estoy nueva.

Started a new rotation at Westchester Medical Center on Monday.  It's a nice hospital, and the newer part is really nice, but the part where I am just feels really cramped.  Low ceilings.  Narrow hallways.  Can't. Breathe. That type of thing. But, for the most part I was impressed with WMC.  They actually knew that I was coming, which is a big plus in my book, having it be the opposite more often than not in my past experiences.  I was issued an ID right away Monday morning.  Given a scrub code, so I could suit up even before meeting with my team.  Unfortunately, as I'd had to dress professional for lack of scrubs on arriving, I looked a bit awkward sportin' some flats with my nice green scrubs.  Plus it wasn't long and my feet were complaining.  But then things got confusing.  For my first two weeks I was assigned to the SICU and given a preceptor to contact when I was all set with my ID and scrubs, etc.  But once I had finally joined the team for rounds it didn't take long at all for me to pick up that they weren't SICU patients.  I asked my preceptor, and apparently he's not even on the SICU team this month.  So in the end, I haven't really been sure of what I'm actually doing, or where I doing it.  In addition, after Monday they had told me start time was 7am.  Very fishy....there's no way a surgical team "starts" as late as 7am.  So today I stuck like glue to the team intern and found out how the team really works.  So i think by tomorrow I'll have finally gotten into the groove.

Hasta!

No comments: