Sunday, January 19, 2020

Estoy estudiando.

Thankful to have made the transition onto another service. Surgical Oncology. Thus far the experience has been much more fruitful and beneficial to my growth as a surgical resident than what I just came from. I've never been on the Surg Onc service before. The service was created last year when no PGY3 rotated on the service, so now as a PGY4, its been a long time coming.

Both last service and now again on surg onc, my team members have consistented of prelim residents who occasionally disappear on me to fly off to an interview. More than once they've been gone simultaneously leaving me to manage all aspects of the team by my lonesome.  I can handle the work, I can get it done more efficiently on my own than if I had the whole team.  speaking from experience. But it's much more fun to be part of a team.  That being said, if some of my current team members put as much effort into their work as they do trying to get out of their work.... everyone would be so much better off.
I almost willingly give extra days off, and just do the work myself. I can then trust that it is done. My Attendings are more relaxed, and I don't have to listen to complaining. Everyone is happier.
When do you get to label someone as not teachable? Should I keep trying?

To be honest, I have been half distracted from work lately anyways. ABSITE is now less than a week away, so trying to get as much last minute studying time crammed in takes up priority 2, 3,  4 & 5.

Some co-residents and I have taken to setting up at a nearby coffeehouse. Muddy Water. Leaving only when they are finally trying to lock the doors. It really helps me with staying off of social media/cellphone. Its a busy coffeehouse, and I am taking up a coveted table spot. I need to prove to myself and all the other customers that I deserve that table spot.  It ends up being a very productive few hours whenever we go. 

(did not realize that guy was in the picture until I was cropping it. whoops.)

Much Love.

No comments: