Friday, December 1, 2017

Estoy pensando en la navidad.

Hitting the Christmas music pretty hard this year. Wish I could carry it around with me throughout the hospital.

Change of rotations today. Always leaves the teams short staffed. We are supposed to have eight 2nd year residents in our program. We are now officially down to 5 of us. So short staffed on top of starting with a severe handicap left me as the only 2nd year resident at the hospital today. Every single chief didn’t ask, just went ahead and used me in their 2nd year position. Thoracic and consults. Trauma. Vascular. General Surgery. I guess one did ask. “Hey Christy, are you busy?” Yes, actually I’m very busy. “Oh, well, come and scrub me out of this case.” So he didn’t really ask.

At a time when one of my Thoracic patients was not doing too well up on the floor. Two vascular patients were in the ED needing admission, booking and consenting. And the pages went out for two traumas to come in. My chief texts to ask if I’m there. Says she’ll look for someone to help me. Thankfully, another one of my co-residents actually just showed up, instead of saying they’ll see if they can help. Then in the middle of the two activations one of my Attendings calls me to ask how I am. (A little background: earlier in the day I had asked this Attending for help, and he had tried to weasel out of it as quick as he could) So exasperated I was at the general show of caring with no action to back it up, that without thinking I barked into the phone that I was “FINE!” While thinking to myself, you’re off the hook sir. No worries! We got this! Thankfully I immediately caught myself and lost the bark.

Sigh, hence the Christmas music. Lots of Christmas music!

Much Love.

No comments: