Sunday, October 6, 2019

Estoy desilusionada de jugo.

Completed my first chief call! It was fantastic!

It’s been a long time coming, further prolonged by the fact that we have so many chief residents this year, us 4th years are getting gypped of our chance to take chief call, among other things.

So what’s the role of a Chief resident on call? Only one thing, operate!
Of course to help out the whole call team when needed, attend to the level 1 traumas, etc. But so much of the small stuff does not need to reach the chief resident level.
It was actually a little unsettling for me to not know everything that was happening. I instead had to trust my senior to let me know when and where he needed me. I do hope that part gets easier for me.

I had a couple of smaller cases in the morning, but the vast majority of my call was taken up by one patient. To put it mildly she was sick. To be more blunt, she was exsanguinating. Our attempts at temporizing the bleeding, futile. When she looked at me and asked for juice, I knew there was no avoiding the operating room that night. I had to gulp back the desire to push her to the operating room right then and there. Going to my attending, I explained...”she asked me for juice.”
A very random request, almost inappropriate, but I’ve seen it multiple times before. A dying request.

I told her no. No way! Not this time!

Much Love.


“After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.  Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a sponge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.  When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.”  John 19:28-30

No comments: