Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Estoy viva.

Year starts, and we're all swept away with new co-residents, new rotations, new roles, and yet the same old Chester. "The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9

On the 4th of July our Chief of Surgery hosted a party at his house. After tucking in my patients for the day I changed and drove out there for the free food. I ended up staying for many hours talking with people. One of my old Attendings, Dr. San Filippo, now retired told me stories of Westchester when it was still Grasslands Hospital, almost 100 years ago now. The politics involved with the hospital back then and as it changed through the decades.... seemed to be the same story, the characters just dressed in a different style. Here's another picture of one of my Trauma Attendings and his wife.
Dr. Policastro plays heavy metal in the OR and believes in aliens. When asked about his hat, "it was they only thing I had that had USA on it!" We all loved getting to meet his wife. She stole the show with her red sequined tennis shoes and red white and blue knee high socks.
Bonus picture: L to R, Monica, Mariju (Joe's wife), Alex, Me

Concerning interns: it's funny how it comes as such a shock each year when the new batch starts and they are so incredibly wide-eyed. They learn quickly, the kinks get ironed out, and as time progresses we all fall into a new rhythm. And then it happens all over again the next July 1. I am chief of transplant this rotation, I have a full team of rotators. It's good and bad. Good to have a four person team, yet bad because I'm the only native resident on the team so have to be responsible for all levels of education. I can't rely on my mid-level to teach the intern, because they are both new to the system. I've got to teach the mid-level and the intern separately. At first, I was  coming around behind them and just doing everything they missed myself. Two weeks in I let them know I was going to stop, and it's so incredibly frustrating for me, because I know it means things will go missed. One of my patients got sick the other day because of something that was missed. Fixed it easy enough, and now I get to remind my intern of what happens when things get missed. It's a scary way to teach, yet very quick, efficient and impactful.

Changing subject again: did you catch the women's World Cup! USA won! Following their victory I ran into one of my patients who was making his way through the hospital hallways with walker and physical therapist . He stopped short and pointing at me said, "You look like Megan!" Who? "The soccer player!" But I don't have pink hair! "You look like her! Strike a pose!" When I hesitated to do as he commanded he threw his arms up in celebratory pose, causing his PT to startle and jump thinking he was going to fall. Calmed my patient down, which then calmed the PT down, and everyone went on their way. 

Transplant has been keeping me busy. When we get the call that an organ is ready we scramble and cover it at all hours of the day and night. I've done multiple 36 hr shifts within the past few weeks. It's good to be busy, yet rather exhausting as well!

Much Love.

No comments: