Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Estoy parte de un terremoto.

The World Cup is over. The majority of those around me missed it. France won, in case you missed it as well.

A month ago, when the first games were underway, I’d excitedly ask random people in the hospital their opinion. You know, pass the time while waiting for the trauma to role through the doors, or the CT scan to finish on a patient, etc. The general response I received was, “Is the US playing?” No. “Oh, well, then I don’t care.”
Their response so strikingly American, and it makes me sad. The whole world cares about the World Cup! We all live in this world together, share the same sun, the same moon and stars, why not care together as well.

An American soccer player publicly expressed his support for Mexico during the World Cup and received quite a bit of backlash for his support. Also makes me so sad. If we can’t support our neighbors in something as meaningless as a game... how can we claim being neighbors at all?

I did not get to watch any of the games myself, but I did have the app open on my phone waiting for the updates. When all of Mexico jumped during their first match against Germany, registering seismic activity on the Richter scale, I jumped with them.

Common sense 101 on relationships teaches us to find common ground. Show interest in what someone else cares about. Find similar interests you can relate with each other. It’s all building up and out from there. When the whole world comes together around a single issue, I want to be a part. I want to share in their joy and sadness. I want to build a relationship.

Much Love.

No comments: