Thursday, October 12, 2017

Estoy escuchando el ritmo.

The day almost got by me without a single case. I was taking the opportunity to complete some paperwork and research. I even got to eat lunch with my team! But I did say almost, almost got by me. Flight EMS rolled through the trauma bay doors asking where to take the aneurysm. This coincided with the Vascular chief calling me to look out for the same aneurysm and see it immediately. Less than an hour later we had our hands in his belly, one goal on our mind. Control. Get control first. Aneurysm second. I don't think I've ever listened so intently to the beeping monitors at the head of the bed before. The steady beep, signifying the rhythm of life, the heart rate. I listened to that beep the whole case long, wondering just when, if when it would suddenly stop. We kept working, the beep remained steady, and eventually I started to notice the crowd of anesthesia at the head of the bed started to thin down. They started moving slower, and then they started relieving each other for breaks. The beep kept going, and so did we. By the time we finally finished and safely got our patient to the ICU, it was late.


Much Love!


Speaking of rhythms... It's been awhile since I've shared one. Here's a rhythm I've been enjoying the recent past while.

No comments: