Sunday, September 24, 2017

Estoy luchando contra el estrés.

Throughout the residency year, education follows a somewhat loose curriculum. There is a nationally produced list of core competencies that must be taught. This is for all residencies, how surgery teaches them versus pediatrics versus radiology, etc, is up to the program itself. Just as long as when the ACGME comes calling, the individual program can show proof that they are being taught. It is also required to provide support and awareness about stress and sleep. Personally, I inwardly groan when it comes time for such a lecture. 1) I won't learn anything new  + 2) there's a million other things I could be doing instead  = 3) this lecture is a waste of time.

So when I got a phone call from one of my chiefs this past week telling me to go listen to a guy talk about stress, I really wished I hadn't picked up the phone. But I also knew that at least half of the residents were going to successfully be able to come up with a good excuse on the spot and avoid going. Therefore I headed over to listen.

One of his powerpoint slides was somewhat similar to the following...
Medical students
     Depression rate - 27%  (corresponding rate in the general population 4-5%)
     Anxiety and burnout rates grater than 50%
Residents
     Burnout rates - 60-75% and higher
Practicing Physicians
     Depression and suicide (Physician is the profession with highest suicide rate in the US, has now officially surpassed Dentists)
     Burnout - 54%
     Would not recommend the field to their kids - 60-90%

Don't quote any of those... I didn't actually catch the guy's source for reporting such rates. But he was just making a point, and trying to reinforce the point by giving examples. Why do 27% of medical students report being depressed when for that same group of individuals only 4-5% (normal rate corresponding with the general population) reported struggling with depression on their medical school admission. What about medicine/medical school/healthcare causes depression rates to increase by roughly 500%?

One can't actually answer that question in a one hour lecture. That's for psychologists, anthropologists and the like with much discussion, much thought, and even more time.
He did though, quote Viktor E. Frankl.

“A man who becomes conscious of the responsibility he bears toward a human being who affectionately waits for him, or to an unfinished work, will never be able to throw away his life." 

“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”

I will spare you the details of the HOW, but the WHY, is something that thankfully, I have never struggled with.  And if I took anything away from this one hour lecture about stress, was just affirmation that I am incredibly blessed. I traverse along this path with so much unknown, but before I had even taken my first step, back before I knew anything, I knew the WHY. There is still much HOW I must traverse, but my WHY is the same yesterday, today and forever. 

Much Love.

No comments: