Thursday, September 7, 2017

Estoy cansada.

It's been a week into the month on Pediatric Surgery, and to be totally honest, I'd have to say I'm not enjoying it as much as last time. The patients are as cute as ever, the surgeries as challenging as ever. It's not them. Rather, it's the political drama and the current tenuous state of the pediatric surgery service in general. Two of our Pediatric surgeons have moved on and away from Westchester in their careers. To keep up with the volume and demand on the service, surgeons have been rotating through, hired for a couple weeks, and then they move on. We had a new one start earlier this week. Unfortunately, he didn't arrive until late in the day, and the previous surgeon had moved on the day before. It's unfortunate and awkward as the resident on the service. I get paged, a new consult, what do I tell them... sorry but can't help? No one wants to work here, and I'm just a poor orphan resident. Don't worry, I don't tell them that. No, I just save everything, and when our new Pediatric surgeon arrives the unloading begins. Welcome to Westchester!! Let's get to work! 

Much Love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This breaks my heart- best part of our residency for so long!