Thursday, July 27, 2017

Estoy corriendo.

Given that I covered call last Sunday and going straight into call this Saturday, under ACGME rules I am allotted a 24 hr period off. Happened to be today. Upon waking this AM, I grabbed my phone to 1) check the time and then 2) check the weather. Wasn't supposed to rain until 2pm. Good, I thought. Plenty of time to work inside a while and get out for a run before it rains. When I finally stepped out of my building, unwinding my trusty old mp3 player, I immediately felt the small pings of raindrops. Sure enough, I'd had one deadline for the day, and I'd missed it. I'm trying to be better about getting out when I have the opportunity so I took the run anyways. Glad I did, as the rain stayed light and kept me cool. I pretty much studied the rest of the day. Made food and a co-resident came and studied with me when she got off work. We try to learn by taking the disease process, or symptom or sequelea all the way down to the pathophysiology. By understanding the why, making the result much more clear. We keep hitting road blocks though. All the cellular pathways and mechanisms we crammed into our brains back in med school seem to be half-erased leaving just lines, boxes and inert shapes which lend to recognition, but without reason. Might as well just have brains filled with legos; could actually build something with that. We eventually get around our road blocks and keep plodding on. I'd had other goals for the day as well, but just like my rain deadline, I've gone too late. Will have to save them for the next time.

Much Love.

No comments: