Sunday, June 4, 2017

Estoy ajustandome a trabajar de nuevo.

Adjusting back to the grind. I knew I was ready to go back. Even before leaving for Argentina, when I returned to New York from Illinois, I knew I could have handled returning to work at that point as well. Which was encouraging, and in a way freeing. I could go to Argentina without the stress of knowing I had to be ready to go to work when I returned. I was already ready, and therefore had the freedom to simply enjoy traveling.

Kind of sounds like I just talked in a circle and actually didn't say anything...

Point being, I'm back to work. Returning, I am on the trauma team. Trauma hits its high season in June. I was the first one to hit the floor June 1st and was handed a list of 50 patients. It's simply impossible to know 50 patients in 90 minutes, all their stories, injuries, histories, numbers and plans, but you hit the floor running and you try anyways. I'm pretty confident to say that I would not have been able to handle this month very well prior to vacation. As is, each day has gotten better. Long hours and little sleep, but that par for the course. Each day you know the patients better which makes handling the million questions and issues that arise much more efficiently. Due to end of the year scheduling issues they put me on 24 my first weekend back. Thankfully I had the time to work throughout the night so that by morning I had all of my work already done. It was a blessing in disguise, because the PA assigned to assist the trauma team for the following day... actually things run smoother when he doesn't try to help.

I've also found so many changes at Westchester during my absence. It had been 4 months since I had set foot at the Chester. Many Attendings are different, many left some new. Some of the teams have changed responsibilities. My co-residents have had changes in their social lives. There's been changes to how a few of the orders go into the computer and a few of the protocols of patient care. That and everywhere I turn someone is commenting about "where have you been?!?!" In a way, it's nice to have one's absence noticed.

And every day, I miss Argentina, and traveling. Seeing something new everyday. New people, new experiences, forming memories, and being a part of this World that is so much bigger than this small corner of New York, this hospital and these patients. I look forward to being able to travel again when next able. But now it's back to the task at hand. Every day learning something new, solving this issue or answering that question, and ultimately becoming the best surgeon I am capable of.

Much Love.


Here's a few videos from the trip.





No comments: